Translate

Sunday, July 2, 2017

Yuletide Progress


I think this wooden watermelon is my new favorite thing.  Was it several weeks ago I was pruning a cedar tree for Mom?  I thought for sure the branch didn't need a wedge cut first, but my handsaw became stuck anyway.   So I sweet talked the saw out of the branch before cutting a wedge.  Wait a minute.  This isn't a slice of cedar, but rather a slice of watermelon with a single seed!  I've been keeping it in the berry tote I use to hold my stitching tools, and what a blessing and joy it has brought. 


The Homespun ladies gathered on the 24th. We were small in number, but mighty in fellowship and Show and Tell. They say that trials and hard times bond groups together like nothing else.  That Saturday our trial was the temperature in our room in our local library.  In the south we say the room is cold enough to hang meat.  Yep, that about covers it.  The air conditioning typically freezes that room out, so we should know by now to wear winter layers.   I was so grateful for my long sleeves and pants.   Okay next time I need a hat, coat and finger-less gloves just in case ;-).

Betty had been busy getting projects finished.  On the top left she brought "House on Pumpkin Hill Pinkeep" design by Stacy Nash for Country Sampler's Girls Club.  Next is another Girls Club piece by Stacy Nash.  The strawberry came from the Linda Stolz's Quaker field at Erica Michaels.  The Stocking is called Poisettia Stocking from the BBD booklet Home for the Holidays.  Was the adorable bunny Betty's too?  Probably, but (drat!) I forgot to ask.



Here is an inside look at Betty's needle book.


I think when I grow up I'm going to finish like Jane.  She always brings in the most scrumptious stuff.  This is a Stacy Nash club piece from 2017.  The velvet heart slips inside with the needles for safe keeping.


Mary finished and framed her Cherry Hollow Farm Sampler.  I know you've heard it before but my cell phone picture just doesn't do it justice.  If this one isn't in my Stash Wish List it should be.


Let's not waste the title of this post.  Below was my current progress on Yuletide last Sunday a week ago.  You can see my little change for Santa.  Sorry, Santa, I really do love you, but jut not for this project.  Family and friends would not be surprised by this since I can't seem to follow most recipes either.  I've decided to fill in the banner :-(, and this week I decided to change "This work wrought by me (my name)" and turn it into some sort of Christmasy verse.  

So who is Santa's stand in?  Why, it's Polly Brown from Eszter's pattern of the same name (Sub Rosa Design).  Polly is the next to be stitched, but she pinch hit for me a little early on this one.  Her face is the same DMC color as Santa's, but golly she looks rather ghostly.  That's it!  I've decided she's the Ghost of Christmas Past from Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.  It seems like all my "Welcome" stand ins have to have a story before they can stay.  If you choose to make my changes Polly will have to be stitched  one strand over one.  


I feel like I've been living in Marly's world (Samplers and Santas blog).  Do you remember when she was re-doing her kitchen?  Nothing seemed to match or be what she expected.  Well, six years ago I ordered the eight peg shelf with antique cherry stain.  I was so impressed by the color and next to invisible grain.  I was so excited to have it's twin arrive for the dining room.  Until . . . . 

 
Until I opened the package Monday and found this.  I'm not a fan of obvious grain and my heart just sunk.  I'm still mulling over what to do about this one.  They will return my money, credit my account or make a trade within the first 30 days.   The rub; I had already decorated that shelf in my head.  If I thought I would get a shelf like the one above I would trade in a heartbeat, but I don't think that will happen.  Stay tuned.




Onward and Upward to better things,  For me there is nothing more challenging than moving from one pattern sheet to anther.  Several years ago I decided to make a copy of my original and cut and paste it together.  This way the design evenly flows from one page to the next--as if it were printed on one page by the printer.  This really reduces stress and mistakes.  Below is the back of my copy of "Yuletide Welcome".  Just believe me when I tell you when I finally did this my life got MUCH better.


Progress on the left.


Progress on the right.


Progress on the border.  Oh, what a beautiful sight.


Like Betty,  I ran out of a color so decided to finish the green portions of the border early.  It was good to have that done before The Gathering.  Since then I've been stitching in the brown flowers/berries on the border a little at a time.  It's been interesting what has happened to my stitching experience since then.  Instead of being anxious to get done I have been excited to watch the design grow.  I'm stitching at a steady pace, but there is no frantic need to finish--yet. :-)

Before I say goodbye I want to share this month's offering for my framer.  God bless that woman! We probably went through 12-15 frames before we finally settled on something simple.  I found one that I loved, but the price was out of my preferred budget.  Back it went, but Polly is much smaller, and I'm hoping those two will work out when the time comes.  Without further ado, here she is.

Brenda Keyes
The Sailor's Wife
Wichelt-Permin linen, 32 count, Lambswool
DMC


Until next time count your blessings--God's gifts to you.

Judy




3 comments:

  1. Hello Judy,

    What a lovely post! So much to see, wonderful stitches around ... I love the lady who steps in for Santa, that is a great idea! She looks lovely. Your finish is so funny, with whale and all. Mmmm, that is another shelf indeed. I look forward to your 'solution' ...
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious watermelon slice.♥ I am envious of your Homespun ladies group! You are blessed to get together with a bunch of talented women. Love your big 'ol samplers!! wOw! Beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, talented group of ladies in your Homespun Group. How did that group get started? It's a wonderful idea. Each project they completed is lovely. Your Yuletide Welcome is stunning and what a gorgeous group of shaker boxes you have in your home. Your blog was just discovered via Carolien's. Would love for you to come visit ours at Stitchingfriendsforever2.blogspot.com MaryandRJ

    ReplyDelete