Translate

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Summer is Here

Summer arrived on June 22nd, but It never quite feels like summer is in full swing until the Independence Day holiday arrives.  I found myself a little amused when I realized what I was drinking that day.  Yep, English tea with English cross stitch designer, Brenda Keyes, as a backdrop.  Mug and hot water brought to you by the good ol' US of A.  The Boston Tea Party reference a little amusing as well.  Fortunately no hard feelings and the Mother Country has long forgiven her fledgling upstart.

Summer running with a dog has proven to be a bit difficult.  Reletive humidity is worthless to me as an outdoor runner, but I've found dew point temperatures are incredibly helpful.    Cold air holds much less water vapor than hot air. So, 100% humidity at 30℉ is actually quite dry.  Dew points are much more helpful since they give a much better indication of how much water or actual humidity is in the air.  We've been hovering in the upper 60s to lower 70s for dew point making it difficult to run outside for me and Heidi.  I actually left her home Thursday, and believe me she had a strong opinion on that one.  My sneaking out is not an option with this dog.  Even though today was only in the lower 80s it was still a tough one due to dew point--69.  


I always bring a couple of 16 oz. bottles of ice cold water for Heidi to drink at the end.  Today she drank 1 1/2 of those.  I used to hold her leash as I stretched at the car, but quickly found she liked to knock over the water, wander around my legs and do anything but chill.  Today I took a picture of my new set up for her after the run.

Hackberry Hitching Post
Collapsable Bowl Held Still by a Nearby Stick
Quietly Resting in the Grass


Today I went over to Mom's to cut the grass.  Normally this is a treat--just me and the riding lawnmower over the fields. Not. Today.  Let's just say I'm pretty sure it was a copperhead that slithered from under the cutting deck to inside some PVC pipe next to the mower.  Needless to say I was NOT excited to go back into the house for the forgotten key to the mower, and you can bet your sweet bippies that I checked everywhere copperhead might return to before getting back on the mower to start it.  


Okay, enough of that.  I have ordered a new shelf and this time from a local family run place that makes all it's furniture and wood items.  I've been looking for a solution to hold my necklaces, and this could be a contender.  Currently, the necklace overflow is on top of my jewelry box which does not sit well with me, but this messy mountain abides behind a closet door, so I tolerate it.  Depending on what is in stock the shelf could take anywhere between a week to six.  It is possible they have the shelf that only needs painted.  It is equally possible the shelf needs to be started from scratch since business is expanding outside the state and items are being transported near and far.


Abigail continues to tolerate Heidi, but now Abigail is getting bold enough to swipe at her little sister as Heidi passes by a perched Abigail on the piano.  Stealthy cat of course makes sure Heidi can see none of this.

Today, however, there was a moment of bliss in a share activity:  Turkey Watching.



So how is progress going on Yuletide?  The Border is completely finished, and I've come up with a plan to get the banner filled in without loosing my mind (stitching it all at once).  I've committed to cutting a length of floss and using this length to stitch three needlefulls each time I pick up the needle.  I can then, and only then, work on other areas.  

I've read that my floss should be cut at short lengths, but this is a rule I've always snubbed.  I seriously hate tying off and beginning a new needlefull of floss.  So, what I do is very scientific.  If I'm pulling floss from a skein it is 3 full pops off the skein or 6 full lengths.  If I'm unwinding a bobbin I just hold the end of the floss, and extend my arm all the way above my head allowing the bobbin to stay in my lap.  I end up with about 36" either way.

So  without further ado here are two pics so you can compare my progress from last time to this time.



Until next time count your blessings--God's gifts to you.

Judy


No comments:

Post a Comment