Translate

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Year in Review


How is the weather where you are?   In Tennessee it is not unusual to have four seasons in one week, so this week should not have been a surprise.  Wednesday the kiddos went back to school for a full day.  Thursday the weather models were so unpredictable not even our favorite meteorologists could call it.  Schools let out after a 1/2 day on Thursday in expectation of snow.  The south doesn't get snow often enough to have a ton of snow plows or salt trucks like the US does in the snowier states.  I said expectation of snow, but it never came.   I can't tell you how sad I was not to see a snowflake.

 But Friday came.  JOY!  Our son went to school like normal.  I slept in, and about 10 minutes after waking the cat began to act a little crazy--weather crazy.  She flings her paws up on the back door and I realized why in just a few minutes and a few sips of coffee later.  SNOW!  I was so excited--so pretty.

I don't know why, but snow turns me into June Cleaver.  I ended up making French ciabata, a couple of loaves of quasi French baguettes and crustless pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream (all unplanned) along with some bacon-based pork and vegetable soup. 


Around lunchtime I got a text, robocall and an E-mail stating school would let out an hour early due to the snow coming in.  I wasn't sad about picking up my little cutie head, but I wasn't all that sure about my ski slope of a driveway.   Yes, I did do a little slipping, but once I was out I was okay.  Our driveway slopes down to the street.  Our neighbor across the street has a driveway that slopes to the house.  I'm not only concerned about sliding into traffic, but if we're sliding too fast we're afraid of sliding into our neighbor's house.   In 16 years this has never happened, but I always try to make sure it doesn't.  

This morning there was some French bread left, so I made French toast.  So good . . . thank you France. :-)  I've slowly worked a few carbs into my diet, so when I do eat them I don't feel really awful later.


So what projects did I get completed in 2016?  I'm not a fast cross stitcher, and my focus hasn't been as much on stitching, so the larger projects I did get finished were pretty surprising.


In April I finally finished my version of Ghoultide Welcome.  This one took about seven months to complete.


Then I had to have something narrow to work on during the April flight to Mexico.  I can't think of a better project than a CHS Quaker stocking.  This got completed in July.


In August I put my needle and floss down for just a moment and headed to the quilt shop.  When I left class I had completed a Mondo Bag.



Oh, I know what I'll do next!  My version of  Barbara Ana's Love Never Fails.  Outfits when from black to indigo.  The cat breed was changed to Balinese.  Of course the personalizing to make this a wedding sampler can easily be seen at the bottom of the design.


Oh deer, I need to procrastinate one more time so I will have something to stitch at the Homespun Gathering.  So my last stitch of the year, And Heaven and Nature Sing, came in under the wire.  I wanted to stitch this as designed, but the number was just bothering me.  It just didn't make any sense, so I changed it to something with personal meaning.  Ah, that's better.  This one took just under two months.


I still wasn't quite finished with my deer, but I needed to get started on my Christmas gift for my assistant--a freebie Sub Rosa Design.  


My last stitch went in on December 30th.  I knew that I would finish nothing else before the end of the year.  To ensure I wouldn't start another project, and because I knew it would be raining at the stroke of midnight before the New Year arrived, I decided to burn my floss ball early . . . in the late afternoon.  [Gasp!]  Oh the horrors!  Well it wasn't all that bad.


There is something so cleansing that happens in my soul as the last year's floss fuels a New Year's bonfire. 


I wish you all a very blessed 2017 with lightening fast needles and floss that never tangles.

Until next time count your blessings--God's gifts to you.

Judy






2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the look back at your finishes. :D My BIL lived in Tennessee for a few years and was bewildered by the shutdowns and lack of salt trucks and plows when snow came. ;) He did get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy~ Thanks for stopping by my blog and making such a nice comment~ I have now found your blog and am ooo'ing and aaahhh'ing at all of your beautiful stitches..... I think we have quite a bit in common.... Like me, you have a live for red.... I look forward to seeing more of your creations~

    ReplyDelete