Translate

Monday, August 1, 2016

Making Some Progress

Thank you for your comments on my last post.  I have heard how blogging is waning from where it was a few years ago, but I still love the blogging family out there, and wouldn't trade y'all for anything.

 I'm very happy to say this quilt is moving forward.  It continues to give me opportunity to push through adversity, but it's moving forward.  Wahoo!  Abigail continues to be my faithful quilting companion.  If she's not already in the dinning room, I find her joining me before I've cut or sewn very much.

It all began with lighting a wonderfully scented candle.
I found the thread stand, and it works extremely well.  I should have read the manual a long time ago.
Constant breaking thread meant I eventually wound the bobbin by hand.  It was definitely not the tension.  After the thread continued to break while sewing the seams I looked up my thread on an online quilting board.  Aurifil seems to have a personality.  Some machines love it, and some don't.  Mine loved it the day I pieced the chain blocks.  This day it didn't.

I thought I was awake when I started this quilt day.  I was wrong, so I joyfully scooped up some of my favorite ground coffee beans and brewed up a very tall glass of iced coffee.  Ah, that's better.
Having to sew the strip sets twice used up a lot of fabric.  This caused me to get creative on how I was going to get all my fabric out of what it left.  I might have to order more, but so far so good.
Strip Set A

Strip Set B

At this point in the project I realized I had measured wrong.  
What's a girl to do?  I decided to cut an extra 8" of fabric and strip piece it to the full length white strip.  Moving on.
I'm not worried at all.  I'll cut my 2" strips around the broken area.
Of course, as I'm coming closer to finishing this quilt top I'm thinking about the quilting portion more.  I ordered this stencil online.  I love the curved lines that will complement the straight lines of the pattern.  I love that the line is continuous.  No Tennessee walking needles here. :-)
Since I'm hand quilting this quilt I know it's going to be a while before I finish.  That being said I have given myself a reward.  I may add this fantastic reproduction sampler to my stash as soon as I finish.   The designer is part of our local stitching group, and this gave us an opportunity to to see it in person.  It's stunning.  I wanted to run right out and order it, but I need some incentive to finish this quilt.  You may order it here from 123Stitch.  I can promise you.  I'll be ordering Nancy's Sewing Necessaries also.
Nancy Alden 1795
My last box of GA peaches, and boy are they yummy.
Going into the Peach Party
 DH and I had not had a date in a while. We decided to attend the Peach Party happening locally at the same place I picked up our peaches.
Yummy Peach Beverages
 I realized many years ago that chicken tastes a lot better when you cook it on the bone.  I can't just throw out the bones, so stock gets made.  You can do it the hard way in a stock pot, or you can use a crock pot.  I choose the crock pot.  There is no baby sitting like there is with my electric stove.  I'm not quiet sure what I'll do with the stock, but no doubt it will be used soon in something delicious.  
This past week was busier than I expected.  I took the wood out to mom's.  I thought for sure that I'd have a full truck bed load.  It was enough to finish filling up the open area of her shed outside the back door.  She's covered it up with a tarp to keep the weather out, but I couldn't help but think how it was like tucking her wood into bed.  I just might be a little sentimental.
On the way back from Mom's I couldn't help but become completely distracted by the view, so  I stopped and took this picture.  I just love the 3D effect.  Don't you?
Saturday, my husband and I were out and about.  This time we were at a local wholesale store that sells everything from farm tools to . . . cute stuffed fish.  This one kept me company after while my husband bargain shopped.  I picked up a case of canning jars for the peaches, but the peach fishy had to stay at the store.  
DH and I also visited one of my favorite shops.  It is family owned and has been in business for nearly 30 years.  I have collected quite a few hardworking, beautiful pieces, but this week I was realizing my new passion, quilting, was going to need it's own space.  The photo below comes from the store's FB page.  I neglected to take one.  Let's just say we did not go home with this mule chest, but I'm still excited.  You're just going to have to wait until I have more to tell you.  
As a family we went to a jazz concert at a local cave on Saturday.  This cave is pretty famous for hosting jazz and other types of concerts since the 40s.  Because of the cool air coming from the entrance of the cave these events are called  "Cooling at the Cave".

DH and DS walking back from the concert.  Without readers I didn't know they were out of focus, but the photo still makes me smile.
The cave has a spring-fed man made lake.  A few years ago this lake had almost no greenery growing in it.  Some time back a crack developed in the damn resulting a slow drain of the lake.  This Christmas I noticed only a few puddles were there.  The geese were gone, and a weed patch of shrubbery had grown up.  There has been no money to fix the damn, so it has gone unrepaired.  We've had so much rain this summer that the pond has filled again, and the geese have returned.  We had so much rain that a couple of weeks ago the road to the right of the photo was under water for about a day.
I never knew what types of geese were at the pond, but after doing a little research I found they were Canada Geese.  These geese are the only ones that actually nest in TN.

A Canada Goose Close-Up
Well what would this post be without a little stitching.  You can see how far I got before I realized I had stitched the diamonds wrong.  It wouldn't have mattered but it effected the width, so I began pulling it out.
I have now finished restitching the diamonds and am nearly done with the border.

Until next time count your blessings--God's gift to you.

Judy


2 comments:

  1. I like your quilt stencil and your new sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Judy,

    That sampler is stunning indeed. The one you're working on is great too, I love the colours.
    That would be a stencil for me, wink: making this pattern in one move is great!
    Good luck with the quilt!

    Bye, Carolien

    ReplyDelete