Translate

Thursday, August 11, 2016

First Birthday

It has been one year, this week, since I started this blog.  I've enjoyed getting to know you as I share my heart.  I've heard it said that some bloggers blog as a way to chronicle their personal life journeys.  I believe that is what this blog is for me, but I do enjoy sharing my life with those around the world who might also love the same things I do.  For all of you who have commented and become followers I want to say, "thank you".  I really do cherish you.

Before we update you on my quilting progress I do want to share some stitching progress.   The dressmaker has arrived and she's done fabulous work.  We decided the indigo dress was appropriate to the time period of the 1850s and matched the indigo jacket worn by Mr. Halland House.  Yes, this is a wedding sampler to retire the original stitched in 1999.
"Love Never Fails"
Last Saturday a friend and I went to our local Farmer's Market.  It was fun seeing friends in their booths and grabbing some produce.  The last time I was there I got some raw honey.  This time I got a sampler of local cave aged cheese.  I was blown away by the mildness of the jalapeno gouda.  The maker said the raw milk is left alone, but the jalapenos have to be boiled before adding to the cheese.  This reduces the heat significantly.  How significantly?  Her four year old can eat the cheese.  That's mild.  If you live in the States and have never had raw milk cheese this is a treat.  The closest I have ever tasted in complexity is Kerry Gold cheddar.  I think it comes from a similar grass fed diet.  I'm waiting to open these until I can bake some bread from a special recipe I have.  I know it will be heaven. 
After getting back from the market I talked my husband into taking me to our local quilt shop for the first time.  I was quite surprised by all the incredible farmland beauty on the second half of our trip.  We had been there a while before realizing there was no service for either one of us.  Our son now has the number to the quilt shop.  While there I signed up for a Mondo Bag class, got some fabric strips and other important bag items.  One of the shop ladies was the wife of our former Singles Minister at church.  He's been the senior pastor of a local church for nearly 20 years now, and I hadn't seen this sweet woman for almost the same length of time.  

I'm not afraid of asking for help and definitely needed some on the triangle sections of the border.  She graciously helped me.
OH, that's how I lay that out.
While I was in the quilt shop my husband shopped the Farmer's Market next door.  This is a tiny town and there was plenty of room in the open area next to the shop.  We couldn't help but browse through the antique shop across the street.  Tempting treasures included wooden shoes, firkins, a speculaas mold, a mule chest, and on and on.

All that antiquing made my husband hungry, so off to a barbecue (smoked meat) we went in that same block.  The food was good, and what's not to love about iced tea served in a canning jar.  It's a southern thing.

Wednesday I made it down to the quilt shop to prep my Mondo bag for the class on Saturday.  I need to iron the squares onto the glue dot fabric, but there will be four sections just like the one below. I can't wait to see this one through. 

As promised I want to update you on quilting progress.  Last week I dug back into the quilt knowing I would start school this week.  There is always a lot of preparation before the kiddos get there.  I was all set to cut out my last group of strip sets for the checkerboard blocks.  The iced coffee would keep my eyes open and my mind sharp.  I really love listening to the Alex Anderson podcast as I work on all things quilty.  
I wanted to sew through these quickly, so I piled the 5 square strips in order of sewing for the 25 patch blocks.
I think Abigail is less interested in being my quilt companion, but she will come in if she thinks there is a bug or blue tailed skink.  They've been really bad this year, but I can't help but think the woods behind us make things worse.
I'm really wanting to iron and square up the blocks, but I think I wait until I head to the quilt shop on Saturday and ask how I'm supposed to iron these seams before I make things hard on myself.  
I put the Audible app on my phone last week, and have been listening to my favorite quilting series--in order this time.  Jennifer Chiaverini is a very talented author, and I can highly recommend her books.

Second book in the story's chronological order 

I could no longer wait to see the quilt so I spread 49 of 80 navy and cream blocks on my bed.  This will be a huge accomplishment when complete.  I feel so blessed to have attempted something that stretches me and the determination to see it through. 


Until next time count your blessings--God's gifts to you.

Judy

2 comments:

  1. Oh Judy! When you laid the blocks out on the bed!! Absolutely gorgeous! Thrilling, isn't it?!
    I am listening to Mrs. Grant and Madame Jule by Jennifer Chiaverini right now. I have read all her books. I admire her work very much.
    One year of blogging! Congratulations. Fun, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your top is wonderful, love it!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete