Translate

Saturday, July 2, 2016

It Is Finished

Springerle Practice

I belong to a springerle group on FaceBook.  It appears there have been quite a few posts lately since I had a strong urge to work on this craft again.  It's nowhere near Christmas and drier weather, but here I am again mixing, molding, and drying these beauties for baking.  I thought I'd give it a shot since the dry air that just moved in seemed ideal for springerle in the summer.  My tried and true recipe from House on the Hill is no longer working as well.  I'm getting a much wetter dough than before.  Wet dough isn't much of a problem if you are going to cut with cookie cutters, but when using wooden molds this same dough can get stuck in the tiny crevices--a mess.  Last night I clearly was a little tired and added all purpose flour to the board for rolling and molding instead of cake flour.  I found it made the cookies tough.  
before working flour in to create a smooth dough

Rolling out only part of the dough keeps it from drying out and becoming overworked




I love the look of  "broken corners".  It reminds me of tablets found on an archaeological dig.  I don't mind the imperfect cookies it creates.  These cookies were very imperfect this time.  I was ignoring smoothness in trade for a quick stamp.  All I was looking for was how they baked up this time.
The cookies puffed up like pillows, but there were no bubbles that created an air pocket between the imprint and the cookie center.  I'm thinking I might try one less egg next time or maybe a bit more powdered sugar.  In America the confectionery (powdered) sugar contains a small amount of cornstarch to keep the sugar from clumping.  My theory is it will bind to the extra moisture in the cookie making less flour necessary.  Yes, the sides and corners were a little wonky, but my main focus was on the print.
All Boxed Up

Girls Day Out

Tuesday I took Mom to post to help her get a permanent ID card.  At the age of 75 the military will do that.  Mom's current card didn't expire until 2018, but we both agreed her mind might not be functioning well enough for us to wait that long.  The military rules are supposed to require people to wait until the card expires, but there are nice people in charge who will do it anyway :-).  

Once we got her new card she bought me lunch and we headed home.  It's such a blessing to be able to help her with what I consider itty bitty stuff.  Mom is independent, so any help she allows us to give her is a HUGE blessing.  Taking her for her ID card was really no big deal, but you would have thought I bought her a new car or catered her meals for a week.  

I finally remembered to set up her phone while I was at her house.  Her old answering machine with my dad's message was nearly impossible to hear from the base unit.  The trick was to call the house and get the timing right to record it on my iPhone and then the timing right again to record it on the new machine.  I'm so glad Mom was outside mowing and not listening to all of this.  She now has a phone she can hear.  

I call Mom regularly in the evenings to make sure she's okay and to catch up.  On a recent call she was telling me a story of the only rug my grandmother hooked.  Sometime during the 1950s my grandmother visited a local doctor's home.  It was a historical home according to mom, so I'm guessing the home was between 100-150 years old at the time.  Tennessee was considered the Wild West even in the early 1800s but beautiful homes were beginning to be built.  While touring the home my grandmother saw several hooked rugs and was bitten by the bug to hook one.  Because of my interest in hooked rugs Mom said I could have it if I could repair it. (Steady on, girl). :-) :-) :-)

The burlap (jute?) backing is going.

My grandmother had a great love of flowers and the color red.

After reading about care of a hooked rug I figured the best place to put it and still enjoy it was on top of the treasure chest.  We have hookers in my cross stitch group.  I'm hoping some of them will have some restoration solutions for me.

Beginning And The End

 This is not a shameless photo of my hubby, but the only shot I had of a highly favored stitching spot when we were on vacation in Mexico.  It was here that I got started on my stocking.  The overhead lighting allowed me to see without being blinded.  It was here that one of the young staff saw me stitching and asked to see it.  She spoke little English and I spoke even less Spanish, but the connection was priceless.  I have even more motivation to learn Spanish--Mexico's people.

Over the course of the last few months stitching this stocking I ran out of floss requiring me to order more and move on with what I had.  I ran out of floss again when I realized the yellow floss Vonna from the Twisted Stitcher had chosen worked beautifully for her linen and not mine.  I realized after stitching a couple of motifs that I could see to stitch, but it wouldn't show up across the room.
  So, I ended up ripping out the rose/bird and restitching it and a few other sections with a better color I had on hand.  I ran out of floss--again.  I ordered and stitched and waited.


I'm usually such an methodical stitcher, but not on the this one.  Miscounting due to inattention and poor eyesight led to frogging and stuff that maybe should have been, but I left it.  The older I get the more character I appreciate in a project.  And now it's finally completed--character and all.

The Quaker Stocking from CHS is stitched over 2 on 32 count.
The other two are over 2 on 40 count.

Memory Of Mexico

I wanted to end with a funny and endearing memory from Mexico.   My husband and I were walking along the beach and I decided to step up on this rock.  I just wanted to stand on it when the surf came in . . . or did I?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!  What was that?


Upon further inspection . . . 
Little barnacles.  I'm such a dork-lol. ;-)

Until next time, count your blessings--God's gifts to you.

Judy


 






1 comment:

  1. Always enjoy seeing pictures of your Springerle. So pretty. What a treasure your grandmother's hooked rug is! Oh how gorgeous. I am sure you will receive help in restoring it. I enjoyed all the Mexico pictures. ;)

    ReplyDelete