Translate

Monday, January 4, 2016

On the twelfth day of Christmas . . .

My true love gave to me
The “twelve drummers drumming” - the twelve points of the
Apostles’ Creed.

I just want to say how grateful I am to Paulette Stewart of Plum Street Designs for so generously sharing this gorgeous design with her blog family.  I have very much enjoyed stitching it.  I had hoped to have all 12 days stitched, but life got in the way.  However, when I get the design finished and mounted I will definitely share that with all of of you.  I plan on painting the wood.  Finding the right color green may prove to be a challenge, and once it's painted the paint usually takes at least 2 weeks to cure.  Only then will I be able to mount the fabric.  I tell you all of this, so won't be looking for a finished product in a week or so.

I also want to say thank you to Gene Wilson.  All the 12 Days information was pilfered straight from his website. You may find his sources here at the bottom of the page. Gene is a rock star if you ask me. When everyone else seems to be molding cookie presses from resin composites or other materials he stubbornly sticks with hand carving wood. His selection may be smaller, but each and every one is unique and made by hand with love.  I have one resin composite mold--one.  I love the design, but I dislike the mold intensely. Let's just leave it there.  In spite of it's major flaw I still feel blessed to have it, and still make one my favorite cookies with it.

Ironically, I found his site when researching how to make cross stitch smalls.  I had seen someone finish with a horn book backing, and Gene sold those along with a horn book mold.  When I saw his molds I was completely smitten.  Yes, my German and Dutch ancestry is full of baking with cookie molds.  One of my Aunts even has a couple.  I don't live near my aunts, and the closest my dad ever came to making a cookie was eating the ones made for him.  I only learned about my aunt's cookie molds recently.  Sadly, she has no idea where they are.  I have now experienced how your family history gets lost.  The hornbook mold may have been one of the first ones I actually purchased from him.  I am a teacher like my mother and grandmother, so this mold is very special to me.  Some of his molds are designed for springerle and others are deeper--speculaas.  Both cookies are delicious and a wonderful experience with his wooden molds.
Springerle Cookies
Until next time count your blessings--God's gifts to you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. These Springerle cookies are works of art.

    ReplyDelete