Translate

Friday, December 25, 2015

On the First Day of Christmas . . .

Merry Christmas, everyone.  I hope this day is wonderful for each of my readers.

Like many in the blogging world I have been stitching along with Paulette Stewart's 12 Days of Christmas pattern.  I had hoped to be finished by now, but no worries I'm on track for my purposes.  The 12 Days of Christmas song used to get an eye roll from me.  I liked it when I was small, but then I heard it so much that, honestly, I couldn't care less about hearing it again.  That is until I learned the history of 12 Days.  I love this song again more than I ever did.  I'd like to share that history with you.

In the church “Christmas” refers to a twelve day period that starts with Christmas Day.

This is the story of the origin of the lyrics of 
The Twelve Days of Christmas

The world celebrates Christmas for 12 hours, but the Church celebrates it for
twelve days because the gift of Christ is with us for twelve months of the year
When most people hear of “The 12 days of Christmas” they think of the song.
The song had its origins as a teaching tool to instruct young people in the
meaning and content of the Christian faith.

From 1558 to 1829 (271 years), Roman Catholics in England were not able to practice their faith openly so they had to find other ways to pass on their beliefs.  They were prohibited from any practice of their faith by law – private or public.  It was a crime to be a Catholic.  “The Twelve Days of Christmas” was written in England as one of the “catechism songs” to help young Catholics learn the tenets of their faith – a memory aid, when to be caught with anything in “writing” indicating adherence to the Catholic faith could get you imprisoned… or worse.

The song’s GIFTS are hidden meanings to the teachings of the faith: 

The “true love” doesn’t refer to an earthly suitor, but rather refers to God Himself. The “me” who receives the presents refers to a Christian.

1. The “partridge in a pear tree” is Jesus Christ, who died on a tree
as a gift from God.
Until next time count your blessings--God's gifts to you.  Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. Thank you! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete