Translate

Saturday, August 15, 2015

It's a Wonderful World

This week has seen cooler temperatures and lower humidity--at least for a few days.  My two pot container garden has seen better days, but the zinnias show great promise as a container entertainer for Abigail.  Its original place was on top of mulch on the other side of the patio.  The back of the house faces west, so the concrete gets incredibly hot requiring more watering.  After shewing her out of the pot during nap time a couple of times and scolding her for swatting the stems I chose to move it.  I can't blame her for wanting the visitors that arrive at 1 Zinnia Place, but I'd like to keep my blooms around for a bit longer.
Making Plans

Stalking

Attack Cat

 Prepping for a family gathering meant I was bringing the desserts.  My brother and sister live way across the country in different directions, so to have them and their families all in one place at one time is monumental.  Family picture for sure.

Amanda Rettke of I am Baker fame is a rock star in my book.  She has an amazing recipe for white cake that enabled me to no longer buy white cake in a box.  It was the only cake I couldn't make as good or better than a box.  She recently posted a carrot cake recipe.  Why did I think I could do the two simultaneously?   WHYYYYYYYY?  Okay, moment of grief over. :-)

Things that can go wrong:

  • Place the right amount of flour for the white cake in the carrot (about 1/2 c. short).  I realized this once it had been in the oven about halfway through.
  • Use baking soda in the white cake instead of baking powder.
  • Oh, I can fix that!  Baking soda needs an acid to activate, so I'll just add the right amounts of cream of tarter since the batter is still in the bowl.  I'm awesome!

My friends, I've learned the baking soda must be thoroughly mixed with the cream of tarter BEFORE adding it to the wet ingredients.  If you don't, lots of fun bubbles form in the batter and the batter over raises and caves.  These went into the trash.  Mostly because they tasted of baking soda--eiuw, yuck.


Carrot Cake with Maple Cinnamon Butter Cream
All was not lost.  The carrot cake had enough structure to not fall apart.  I made a maple cinnamon butter cream for it.  The flavor was a very pleasant and yummy surprise.



I wanted to share this shot with you.  This shrub lives in front of my favorite parking spot at our local Greenway.  It reminds me of a a vase with a beautiful arrangement.  My running schedule resumes in a week or two on the Mountain Goat Trail.  That's what I call it anyway with inclines of around 20-30 degrees.  The plan is to begin my Couch to 5K program from the beginning when I begin that route.

 I'm nearly finished with another of Marly's fabulous pears.  I stalled out a few days ago while beginning my initials and date.  The floss knotted in a really bad place and broke as I tried to unknot it.  There will be a frog party as I rip, but I'm not looking forward to it on 40 count.  I'm so glad I hadn't gotten very far.  Huge blessing.

The week, warts and all, was a huge blessing.  The craziness of beginning school was balanced by seeing teacher friends and staff again, some for the first time since May.

Leave me a comment or two.  I'd love to hear from you.  Until next time enjoy the blessings God gifts you in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment